IT Transformation: Technology as a Strategic Advantage
Hospitals across the country were mandated to implement Electronic Health Records and were moving to comply. Our client, a large NW hospital with 7,000+ employees and 29 locations, had chosen Epic as their EHR system and were ready to start the project.
Up to this point our client, like most hospitals, were run using paper records and manual processes with limited backend automation. The existing IT department services, capability and infrastructure were designed to support these predominantly manual processes. To implement the new vision of physicians and nurses entering all data and orders into mobile devices and computers on carts would require a complete reengineering of IT's organization, services, processes and backend infrastructure.
We worked with the CIO and hospital management to develop a new vision for IT. We then assessed existing capabilities and completed a gaps analysis. Next we completed an extensive scope to map out the changes and develop supporting plans and budgets. Once the program was approved, we put together a program team of 15+ consultants to execute this multi-year effort.
This transformation program included the following major initiatives:
- Reorganize the IT department and assist in hiring needed staff.
- Design and implementation of a completely new backend infrastructure.
- Design and deployment of a cutting edge virtual desktop infrastructure that allowed for the rapid rollout and simplified servicing of 3,000 new user devices.
- Implementation of core ITIL processes and support tools to improve the quality and speed of service.
- Design and delivery of desktop training for all hospital staff.